Friday, August 10, 2012

Biking

Part of the reason I moved to this town is because of it's bike-ability. According to the bicycling.com, Austin is the 13th most bike-friendly city in the United States.

13. Austin, TX


Population: 790,390

Claims to Fame: The city installed 35 miles of bikeways in 2011; a new urban-trail plan emphasizes off-street paths, like the 6-mile Lance Armstrong Bikeway. The Austin Bike Zooanimals—including an 80-foot rattlesnake powered by six riders, tandem butterflies, and a bat tricycle—are an institution at parades.

Biggest Challenge: Though tireless bike advocates have a near-perfect record for projects they’ve championed, involvement from the thriving cycling community remains sporadic.
Sweet! Not only that, but the neighborhood I moved into has a walk score of 63. Although considering how many days I have gone so far without using my car, I would argue it is much higher. Just to give you an idea, my walk score in the suburb I grew up in was 12, or, completely car dependent. Where I lived in N. Atlanta: 11.

Walk Score is a number between 0 and 100 that measures the walkability of any address.
  • People in walkable neighborhoods weigh 6-10 lbs less.
  • Walkable places make you happier and healthier.
  • Short commutes reduce stress and increase community involvement.
My goal is to not have to park my car on campus, ever. This means getting up earlier to catch a bus or ride my bike. It also means changing my outfit accordingly. Needless to say, it's going to be a major (healthy) challenge for me.

I got my bike on craigslist for $160 my first week in Austin:

my beauty.
But since that original pic, it now has a milk crate on the back and lights on the front and back for night time riding. I love it. A lot. I don't have a name for her yet, but she seems like a "Belle" or "Lucy" or "Roxy" or something.

Riding is not an easy task for me. 
  • First, there's the incredible heat. Not as humid as it would be in STL, ATL or DC right now, but still hot. I just got back from a 10 minute ride in 103 degree heat today, and it has taken me more than twice that time to recover with AC and water. In Sept. I hope a lot of that intensity should pass.
  • Then, there's the rules of the road. Not challenging in and of themselves, but new to me. For example, now that I have a crate on the back of my bike, the balance is a little off--so when I go to do a left turn signal with my left hand, it's hard to compose myself without teetering a little. And my speed is ...well, slow. So making left turns or riding over major intersections is particularly dangerous for me seeing as how I barely have enough momentum to beat the cars or streetlight.
  • Strength. I don't even think I had muscles in my legs before this year. I've never really pushed myself hard enough to bike long distance (or haven't needed to/been able to) before, so my body strength, in general, was... lacking. But now these new foreign leg muscles are quickly making an appearance---and I can't complain one bit. My back feels better, too. My lung capacity, which is notoriously limited, will hopefully improve with every gasping ride. 
My map of bike-able places, most which I have have biked already.
The longest route being from home (yellow home shape) to the School of Social Work (yellow pushpin) at 3.3 miles. Not much for an experienced biker, but pretty hefty for me. Google maps mapped it at 16 minutes by bike. I mapped it at about 20, if you get all green lights (which I did). Not bad for a morning workout. And it's mostly downhill, shaded, and safe (bike lanes).

I'm hoping that when it cools down I will have enough morning drive (no pun intended) to get on my bike, even though a car ride would be half the time and half the effort (minus parking frustration). Bus actually takes more time (30 minutes total)! But is less of a workout.

Wish me biking luck!





No comments:

Post a Comment